Quote:

I know it was a 440 center but I think the blokc and the bowl are from the 340 carb. That being said what issues could that cause? Again, I have had no issues with the way it actually runs, if it hadn't been for the surge I would not have started tweaking it at all. Granted it doesn't run like a EFI vehicle but I don't expect it to, most of my cars are carberated so I am well aware of the differences.

Sounds like you have a mongrel of a center carb, if your not aware of all the peculiarities between the assorted center carbs, and how simple even the wrong gasket can cause woes in the metering block, I'd suggests you either send your carbs out, or replace them with new....perhaps you have no major issues with the carbs, other than tuning them, your fooling yourself by thinking you can set up just the center, and not worry about the outboards until you've "straightened out" the center, they need to be all addressed at the same time, and even after your done, your not done, you need to go back and double check your settings/adjustments

Mike