One pair of Jack stands I have was given to me from my old boss at the gas station back in the late 70s. I've used them ever since, they are stone cold reliable. The 2nd pair of good stands I have I bought sometime in the early 80s, but I think they were rated at 4,000 lbs. The older pair are better stands, but those two have an extra 2" of lift. There were a couple sets of cheap stands between that 1st pair, and the 1st pair of good stands I bought. The cheap ones were junk. I bought the good ones after a cheap set failed, fortunately no one or nothing was damaged. It was a quick lesson on jack stand purchase I learned very early. The two pairs of good stands have been the only support holding up many vehicles. A good solid surface for the stands to sit on is as important as the stands themselves.

I've bought several other sets of stands after those two good sets, but the newer stands just don't give this guy the trusting feeling the old stands give. There were times I needed 6 or 8 stands to do a project, so the investment of more good stands was required. Its fortunate that when I needed to use the modern stands, there were several stands involved, and usually the project was less then complete.
The old stands are still the go to stands when I need to work under a vehicle that is only supported by jack stands.

Watching this test was interesting.