Originally Posted by Jer
Originally Posted by 2002bluert
Thanks for all the input, I don't plan on racing the car at the track and plan on driving the car lots in the summer on nice days. I enjoy going to a lot of out of town car meets and to local ones as well. Some meets can be a few hours away and i wont be trailering it. It is a pretty low option Challenger with a rebuilt factory 318 auto and 8 3/4rear end.

To me, this is an easy answer. A rebuilt 318 is pretty darn reliable. Repaint it, dress it up with the wheels of your choice, maybe add a dual exhaust for the rumble, and enjoy the heck out of it.

I agree with this answer. The simple and cheapest answer is to add a four barrel intake and carburetor if doesn't already have one. Some headers (worse case) and dual exhaust with lower gears if desired. If he has to have a 440 then look for a running motorhome engine swap on intake, HP Manifolds or headers, and be done. I would suggest a camshaft swap but, with I've seen lately he'll be taking a risk with an improperly machined camshaft itself or defective lifters. The other contender would be if he wanted to build the 440 is having a reputable machine shop or engine builder and accounting for any potential part delays.