Moparts

WHAT ENGINE OPTION

Posted By: 2002bluert

WHAT ENGINE OPTION - 11/10/22 05:48 AM

I just bought a 1971 318 Challenger that was originally orange that I want to do an engine swap on. I'm just not sure what direction to go I have most of the top end for a six pack for a 440 just missing the block which is no problem to find. I'm just not sure to build a 440 six pack for it, or a new style 5.7 or 6.2 HEMI for it. what's everyone's opinion ?

Attached picture 1971 Challenger 2.jpg

Re: WHAT ENGINE OPTION - 11/10/22 05:51 AM

By the way I'm going to paint it back to orange and change the hood and wheels.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: WHAT ENGINE OPTION - 11/10/22 06:25 AM

What do you want from it?
It is your car, your choice, pee on everyone else opinions twocents
Do it your way wrench up

if it was mine it would get a stroker 440 6 pack so I could raise heck with the new cars devil stirthepot boogie
But it is yours, have fun with it up twocents
Posted By: VS29H0B

Re: WHAT ENGINE OPTION - 11/10/22 01:14 PM

A later generation modern Hemi (2011 and up) with the overdrive tranny would be a a great powertrain in that car. Lighter, more fuel efficient and equally powerful compared to building a 440. Yes 440s have appeal but the modern Hemi breaths better unless you spend for really good alum. 440 cylinder heads.
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: WHAT ENGINE OPTION - 11/10/22 01:30 PM

Does money or complexity play a role in the decision? One route would seem cheaper and simpler than the other.

The 5.7 is not real expensive and are plentiful. The 6.4s are typically expensive and sometimes hard to find. And the super charged (Hellcat) 6.2 can be even more expensive that the Gen 2 Hemi to buy. Then there's the install costs and that's where the complexity really kicks in. Especially if the original injection and electronics are retained.

Modern engines, like modern wheels and tires on our old muscle cars don't always meet with acceptance.
Posted By: BloFish

Re: WHAT ENGINE OPTION - 11/10/22 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
It is your car, your choice, pees on every one else twocents
Do it your way wrench up

iagree
Posted By: hudsonhornet7x

Re: WHAT ENGINE OPTION - 11/10/22 03:31 PM

How about a small block stroker? The car is already setup for one and a 408 with good heads would be a wicked engine for an e-body
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: WHAT ENGINE OPTION - 11/10/22 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by hudsonhornet7x
How about a small block stroker? The car is already setup for one and a 408 with good heads would be a wicked engine for an e-body
This would certainly be the easiest. Although the other options are good ones.
Posted By: Jim_Lusk

Re: WHAT ENGINE OPTION - 11/10/22 04:06 PM

The build for me would be determined on how the car will be used and what you expect out of it. They're all good choices...
Posted By: moparx

Re: WHAT ENGINE OPTION - 11/10/22 04:32 PM

what budget do you have ?
any good junkyards, er, i mean, "recycle" places you can browse for what you will need for parts ?
how good are your fabrication skills when you can't find what you need ?
how good are your electrical skills ? this is especially important if you choose to go modern power plant with computer controlled devices you need to integrate with a simple older wiring system.
just a few things i thought of. not trying to say you don't have the skills to do a swap of your choice, just some things that have bit my old bony azz in the past.
beer
Posted By: Neil

Re: WHAT ENGINE OPTION - 11/10/22 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by hudsonhornet7x

Agree.
Posted By: TJP

Re: WHAT ENGINE OPTION - 11/11/22 02:21 AM

Step 1 Is answering the above question
Step 2. Is how are you honestly going to use it
Step 3. Answer the budget question
Step 4. Answer 1,2 &3. Then Start putting numbers down on paper. BE THOROUGH. I usually tell people get a catalog form you vendor of choice. Start at page1 and go completely through the catalog writing down everything you want to replace or that will be required. Then add the items not in the catalog, any labor you're out sourcing and total it up eek

If you do 4 correctly and thoroughly it will help answer your question twocents beer
Posted By: poorboy

Re: WHAT ENGINE OPTION - 11/11/22 02:38 AM

In my world, the choice would be easy, but its not my world, its yours.

You are the guy that needs to feed it, and take care of it when your done. Give a lot of thought as to what you intend to do with the car after your drop $20 K into it. A weekly trip to the ice cream store with the wife & kids (or grand kids) is a different build then one competing for trophies at shows, and that build is different then racing to win at a strip, and that is different then competing at an autocross track. Even a get a car out and have fun every weekend can look a lot different then any of the above. Trying to cover them all will only lead to disappointment on all levels.

Figure out what you want the end product to do, then build accordingly.

Its much better to figure out what you want the car to do, and build it to do that then it is to build the car one way, then figure out that wasn't what you wanted, and then try to change it to meet your goals. A car built as an all out tubbed and caged pro street car is not a fun car to go for a 200 mile ride with the family and its vey costly to change it over. What we think doesn't matter at all.
Posted By: Dabee

Re: WHAT ENGINE OPTION - 11/11/22 04:45 AM

If you are planning on really driving the car a lot then a Gen lll would be the logical choice. If it’s only going to used as a show poodle then I would go for the 440 six pack or a 408 stocker with a good set of aluminum heads.

Re: WHAT ENGINE OPTION - 11/11/22 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by TJP

Step 4. Answer 1,2 &3. Then Start putting numbers down on paper. BE THOROUGH. I usually tell people get a catalog form you vendor of choice. Start at page1 and go completely through the catalog writing down everything you want to replace or that will be required. Then add the items not in the catalog, any labor you're out sourcing and total it up eek

If you do 4 correctly and thoroughly it will help answer your question twocents beer

take step 4 and multiply by at least two. biggrin
beer
Posted By: JDMopar

Re: WHAT ENGINE OPTION - 11/13/22 02:56 AM

Wow! That looks like an untouched granny car. I'm surprised it doesn't have the belt moldings on the tops of the doors and around the back edges of the fenders and hood. Looks like it has all the other stuff that would go with that. Probably has AC too. I'd be tempted to just make the numbers matching 318 into a 390 stroker. You'd better look up under the back of it to see what rearend....lol. Don't be surprised if it has a 7 1/4. Was it Hemi Orange or Vitamin C? Cool car to fix just the way you want it. up
Posted By: abodyjoe

Re: WHAT ENGINE OPTION - 11/13/22 10:53 AM

starting from scratch id be going modern hemi.
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: WHAT ENGINE OPTION - 11/13/22 12:37 PM

I think a modern hemi would be a smart swap. Even a bone stock 5.7 from a truck would be 390HP. If your desires are a nice driving car and not racing using as much factory electronics as you can would net you a great performing car that gets good MPG, great reliability, and you would still be able to roast the tires off no problem lol.

If you are starting from scratch modern power is a good option for any car really.

Re: WHAT ENGINE OPTION - 11/13/22 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by moparx
Originally Posted by TJP

take step 4 and multiply by at least two. biggrin
beer

Especially so if this is ones first attempt, might even go 3X, beer

Re: WHAT ENGINE OPTION - 12/01/22 05:12 AM

Thanks for all the input, I don't plan on racing the car at the track and plan on driving the car lots in the summer on nice days. I enjoy going to a lot of out of town car meets and to local ones as well. Some meets can be a few hours away and i wont be trailering it. It is a pretty low option Challenger with a rebuilt factory 318 auto and 8 3/4rear end. I also have a lot of parts to clone it to look like an R/T including a set of elastomeric bumpers.

Attached picture 1971 Challenger interior 2.jpg
Attached picture unnamed.jpg
Attached picture Fender tag.jpg
Posted By: Jer

Re: WHAT ENGINE OPTION - 12/03/22 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by 2002bluert
Thanks for all the input, I don't plan on racing the car at the track and plan on driving the car lots in the summer on nice days. I enjoy going to a lot of out of town car meets and to local ones as well. Some meets can be a few hours away and i wont be trailering it. It is a pretty low option Challenger with a rebuilt factory 318 auto and 8 3/4rear end.

To me, this is an easy answer. A rebuilt 318 is pretty darn reliable. Repaint it, dress it up with the wheels of your choice, maybe add a dual exhaust for the rumble, and enjoy the heck out of it.
Posted By: grancuda

Re: WHAT ENGINE OPTION - 12/03/22 04:11 AM

408 from Blueprint is a pretty nice little combo for a cruiser, way cheaper than than some new, over complicated fuel injected late model hemi & would make just as much power.

https://blueprintengines.com/produc...small-block-chrysler-longblock-bpc4082ct
Posted By: Neil

Re: WHAT ENGINE OPTION - 12/03/22 04:28 AM

Long distance cruiser I'd go with a nice 340/360/408 and some sort of OD trans. Could even stroke the 318 with a 340 stroker crank and put some better heads on it too.

If you go with a 360 get a 5.9 Magnum engine block as they use a roller camshaft. Might as well take advantage of that if starting from scratch.

Re: WHAT ENGINE OPTION - 12/03/22 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by grancuda
408 from Blueprint is a pretty nice little combo for a cruiser, way cheaper than than some new, over complicated fuel injected late model hemi & would make just as much power.

X2 wink

Re: WHAT ENGINE OPTION - 12/03/22 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by TJP
Originally Posted by grancuda

X2 wink

pretty nice price as well, considering it's dyno'ed and comes with the paperwork.
375hp from that package would put a lot of 440's to shame.
beer
Posted By: OrangeProwler

Re: WHAT ENGINE OPTION - 12/03/22 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Jer
Originally Posted by 2002bluert
Thanks for all the input, I don't plan on racing the car at the track and plan on driving the car lots in the summer on nice days. I enjoy going to a lot of out of town car meets and to local ones as well. Some meets can be a few hours away and i wont be trailering it. It is a pretty low option Challenger with a rebuilt factory 318 auto and 8 3/4rear end.

To me, this is an easy answer. A rebuilt 318 is pretty darn reliable. Repaint it, dress it up with the wheels of your choice, maybe add a dual exhaust for the rumble, and enjoy the heck out of it.

I agree with this answer. The simple and cheapest answer is to add a four barrel intake and carburetor if doesn't already have one. Some headers (worse case) and dual exhaust with lower gears if desired. If he has to have a 440 then look for a running motorhome engine swap on intake, HP Manifolds or headers, and be done. I would suggest a camshaft swap but, with I've seen lately he'll be taking a risk with an improperly machined camshaft itself or defective lifters. The other contender would be if he wanted to build the 440 is having a reputable machine shop or engine builder and accounting for any potential part delays.
Posted By: volaredon

Re: WHAT ENGINE OPTION - 12/04/22 01:36 AM

K. I. S .S.
A computer that never existed can't strand you miles from home.
Given a choice alongside a roadside if I had to replace a fuel pump 2 bolts on the side of the block beats dropping a tank
.adding in a computer and a gazillion sensors to a car that never had them is asking for trouble.
I've seen some pretty ratty wiring jobs.

Re: WHAT ENGINE OPTION - 12/04/22 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by volaredon
K. I. S .S.
A computer that never existed can't strand you miles from home.
Given a choice alongside a roadside if I had to replace a fuel pump 2 bolts on the side of the block beats dropping a tank
.adding in a computer and a gazillion sensors to a car that never had them is asking for trouble.
I've seen some pretty ratty wiring jobs.

Just a FEW examples I have many more. Many of t ehigh $$ cars i have seen fall way short in the wiring dept.
These examples made it all the way across the auction block to the new owners driveway. The 57 was a 200K build in 2008 with a BRAND NEW complete Corvette driveline straight from Chevrolet. Gorgeous build but they couldn't keep the electrical issues under control. whistling beer

Attached picture DSC08027.JPG
Attached picture DSC08029.JPG
Attached picture DSC06177.JPG
Attached picture DSC05851.JPG

Re: WHAT ENGINE OPTION - 12/04/22 03:19 AM

A few AFTER examples wink beer

Attached picture DSC06301 - Copy.JPG
Attached picture 6-17-11 001.JPG
Attached picture 2016-12-02 2016-12-07 001 006.JPG

Re: WHAT ENGINE OPTION - 12/04/22 04:24 PM

i see you have seen and evicted many of the same "gremlins" i have dealt with over the years. biggrin
beer

Re: WHAT ENGINE OPTION - 12/05/22 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by moparx
i see you have seen and evicted many of the same "gremlins" i have dealt with over the years. biggrin beer

Yes, it is a common area that is poorly done by most as they have no training in the area and most of the DIY kits Like PAINFUL do not address things like USING THE PROPER CRIMPERS and TERMINALS.
HMM Problem: I don't have the correct sized terminal frown SOLUTION: Strip extra insulation and fold wire multiple times as needed
OR,
Wire(s) are to big for terminal frown SOLUTION: Cut as many strands as needed until it fits. THE PRO's know to cut the same number of strands off each wire when shoving multiple wires in to a TOO small terminal LMAO beer
Posted By: poorboy

Re: WHAT ENGINE OPTION - 12/06/22 01:55 AM

When did you guys get under the dash of my car and take the "before" pictures? shruggy whistling
© 2024 Moparts Forums