Originally Posted by fourgearsavoy
Being a dealer tech for almost 40 years now I have seen a lot of changes and most of them have been positive. The worst idea I have seen yet is the plastic intake manifolds that became popular in the late 90's. The intake NEVER gets hot enough to burn off any deposits that form near the ports. Most of the "induction services" offered by repair centers basically just clean your wallet out. With some intake designs it can also be dangerous because of large plenum areas where cleaners puddle and have been known to explode with the "keg" style manifolds.
We have a few direct injection engines in the Toyota brand but most of the fleet is still a basic low pressure port injection but that will probably change over to high pressure direct injection in the next few years.

Gus beer

I just bought an 2010 LS460 Lexus this summer without doing all my due diligence because I'd had an LS400 in the past. Imagine my surprise that it has Direct Injection and no aftermarket support for AWD front suspension components... whiney

Any thoughts on things I should be aware of with the DI engine? I hadn't even considered intake deposits. I was more concerned about the high pressure injection pump.

Other than I have 2 rear front lower control arm bushings that are shot, I love the car.

Kevin

Last edited by Twostick; 11/20/22 11:50 AM.