Originally Posted by HotRodDave
Originally Posted by mgoblue9798
Ray there are "stand alone" stepper motors/ iac valves that can be installed using a vacuum line rather than trying to attach directly to the carb. Maybe a manual rheostat could be used to control the opening at part throttle cruise? With your computer knowledge though I am sure you would fashion something a little less crude.

How about a vacuum switch to open it? This would only allow it to open under high vacuum that happens when the engine is fully warmed up and under decel conditions when it don't need fuel at all. Ideally an adjustable one where cut on and off are both adjustable. This is sort of how the bypass thingy on the back of some thermoquads was sposed to work.

Good idea, but the problem I've had at 9,000' is that it always needs leaning, which is what the later T-quads had built in - Holley never did.

My 318 in the old Chinook wouldn't even start at Brianhead unless I held the choke wide open.
I have also considered manual choke which my 68 F100 had. The Holley electric "automatic" is time-based electric heat rather than eng temp based.