Originally Posted by NachoRT74
my opinions:

-Stock alts still being new back on the days where unneficent at iddle. In most cases you disconect the batt with engine running and engine will stall. Alt don't provide enough juice at iddle.
-If you add to this a low tension on alt belt... increases the problem
-then, add to this years of sulfating, oxidation, loosen contacts, damages on wiring (and ammeter itself) between batt and the main power splice which is located between ammeter and alt.

we have the perfect storm to an ignition system failure ( along with the rest of the car electrocity ) with everything of this working together.

sure if you have an alt able to source the complete car electrical system at iddle, you barelly will notice any problem if some, between batt and main splice, because alt will be feeding the main splice without any reading on ammeter... straight to all the devices

Nacho,
I'm glad you joined in as your electrical knowledge seems superior to most, myself likely included wink
if I understand your statements correctly,
1. The charging systems back in the day were adequate but marginal by today's standards. iagree
2. If the engine stalls when the battery is disconnected the alternator is not charging enough, or the output is being lost in poor connections etc.
3. But with the battery connected, if the alternator output is low, the battery should supply the needed power to keep the engine running unless
a. the battery is weak
b. there are bad connections between the battery and loads causing voltage drops which in turn causes the ignition system to fail.
4. If "b" is the case, the real problem is the bad connections between the battery and loads.

Raising the output of the alternator will "mask" or hide these connection issues as the alternator is "backfeeding' the voltage drops.
So, I maintain the real problem is the bad connections not the alternator's output.

I have driven several 60-70's mopars home with a non-working alternator years ago. Maybe 20-30 miles at most with no other loads on the system.
To summarize:
The batteries main purpose is to start the vehicle and provide power when the alternator output is low a for a period of time. The amount time depends on the load, condition and capacity of the battery.

If the above is true, the real issue the OP is facing is bad connections somewhere between the battery and alternator.

To confirm this one could run a heavy gauge wire between the battery and alternator output stud. this would allow the battery to backfeed the bad connections.

Last edited by TJP; 11/02/22 12:53 PM.