A little backgound: I run the Silver State Classic in my '67 Charger with a 496 stroker and a 727 turning 2.50's in a Ford 9". I've walked 2 extension housing bushings out of the housing with 2 different transmissions, yokes, driveshafts, rearends and pinion angle setups, both times at speeds of 140+ for some amount of time. D/S balance and runout are very good, and the most recent output shaft was measured for runout at under .001". It was hand-picked for that fact before being used, The only thing truly in common is design and operating conditions. No application that I can think of uses a 727 auto at those speeds for anything more than a short burst, not the 40 minutes at a time that I do it for. I am convinced the rear yoke is starving for lube. Both failed yokes had significant galling. There is relatively little hard acceleration and braking, limiting the fluid movement from slosh. Fluid temp is usually about 200-210 in the pan. D/S speed is 5000 rpm, and well below critical of 6800.

I am going to pressure feed the rear bushing just like a main-bearing by adding 3 lines to the rear of the housing. I understand from the manual it works between 5 and 25 psi, which is ideal. I'll drill through the bushing at the housing at the 12-4 and 8 o'clock positions, with the 12 o'clock being drilled directly above, but air-gapped over the existing hole. The top fitting will also have a restrictor in the fitting (nitrous fitting and jet) to control pressure to the other two. The other two would be offset forward and backward respectively and drilled through the housing and bushing. This will make the top position a passive feed into the existing hole and the other two feed whatever pressure is left.

Now to the questions:
1) Does the return FEED the rear bushing in the housing by the sprag, or is it a passive return that dumps into the case?
2) As such, can it be bypassed and use my rear bushing as the dump, since one of the 3 new lines is ( or can be) free-flowing? If not, I'll tee into it.
3) What is the restriction after the return hose that causes there to be pressure? A free-flow return would not have pressure.

Last edited by 67Charger; 10/19/22 08:29 AM.

11.33 @ 118.46 on motor
10.75 @ 125.35 w/ a little spray
Now, high Speed Open Road Racing - Silver State Classic Challenge, Nevada Open Road Challenge, Big Bend Open Road Race
Rocky Mountain Race Week 2020, 2022 2.0, Sick Week 2023