Rule #1: Never install a rubber gasket with RTV silicone. Why? Because rubber is not compressible... it is deformable. So, IF you apply RTV silicone spread across a rubber gasket, its the same as spreading grease across it. the gasket will simply slide and want to split/deform very easily. You will never find a gasket manufacturer with directions to apply RTV silicone across a rubber gasket. Rubber gaskets are always best installed DRY without any wet chemical.

Rule #2: Check for flatness... both surfaces must be flat (stamped pans, etc tend to have distortion, especially at the bolt holes... replace or flatten as needed.

Rule #3: Clean all threadings... so to reduce and eliminate unwanted friction.

Rule #4: Tighten to manufacturer's specifications... avoid over-tightening.

Remember, again, that rubber is not compressible... its deformable and only by about about 30% of its thickness... squeezed any more than that and it'll split apart. (Cork-rubber, by comparison, can be compressed 50%... more forgiving to out-of-flatness and irregular surface imperfections.)

I 'm a former gasket engineer from a major leading company... and I wrote the instructions within their gasket sets.

Mopar Mitch "Road racers and autocrossers go in deeper and come out harder!"... and rain never stops us from having fun with our cars... in fact, it makes us better drivers! Check out MOPAR ACTION MAGAZINE, August 2006 issue for feature article and specs on my autocross T/A!