Originally Posted by 6PAX
I just put the pan back on my 727 using a new rubber gasket and also a thin coat of Ultra Black. I tightened the pan bolts to 150 in/lbs per the book and assumed all was good and started cleaning up. Went back to the trans. to pick up some tools and happen to look at the pan and the gasket was squirting out from the pan in two spots (both corners on passenger side). Is 150 in/lbs. too much for a rubber gasket? I know people are gonna say I should have used the Mopar hard gasket but the last time I used one of those it leaked too so I just used the rubber gasket since I already had it. I loosened all the bolts and the gasket receded back into place on it's own so should I just snug the bolts up till they are snug?

The backbone Mopar gasket does not leak.

IF - you have an undamaged, flat pan flange, no damage to the case, etc. You can’t overtighten them either.

Adding silicone to a rubber gasket just lubes them up allowing them to squirt out. If your pan leaked with the Mopar gasket it’s going to leak with the others unless you slop a tube of RTV all over the place.