Had a motor on the dyno yesterday.
505 BB, stock block, unbushed lifter bores, HR cam.

We’ve only had a few of these on the dyno, and I haven’t been thrilled with the lifter function of those earlier builds.
No failures, but fairly noisy operation, and I was underwhelmed with the upper rpm capabilities.

With the internet filled with reports of failed FT cams over the last 2 years or so, I thought it was time to try and embrace the HR’s.

A lot of BBC marine engines go on the dyno here, and pretty much all the higher HP ones use HR cams/lifters.
Even on some of those we’ve had some builds where the lifter noise was pretty objectionable.

So, Comp came out with their new Evolution HR lifters that utilize a replaceable hyd cartridge(89211-16 for the BBM).
There is a YouTube video on them, if you’re interested.

Anyway, I wanted to try a set in this particular build.
I was looking for at least reasonably quiet operation, and a stable valvetrain to over 6000rpm.

I’m happy to report that they were a success on both fronts.
Very reasonable in the noise dept, and no signs of any valvetrain unhappiness thru 6300rpm(as high as we went).

The cam used had rpm friendly .380 lift lobes, coupled with 1.6HS rockers, and dual springs set up at 150/400.

There’s a Pontiac going on the dyno soon(waiting on a couple of parts) that’s also going to be using these lifters.
The cam in that motor has lobes that aren’t as rpm friendly, and both 1.5 and 1.65 rockers will be tried.

68 Satellite, 383 with stock 906’s, 3550lbs, 11.18@123
Dealer for Comp Cams/Indy Heads