Originally Posted by Hemi_Joel
Originally Posted by TJP
Originally Posted by Hemi_Joel
Back in 2005, I bought a bend pack XT-XL 9000. I bought it from some outfit online where it was ridiculously cheap, about $2,300 bucks if I remember right including truck freight. I had them ship it to a truck terminal down in the city so I didn't have to try and unload it from a truck at my place. Then I went to the truck terminal with my open car trailer and had them set it on the trailer. When I got home I cut the banding off of it and with the help of one or two strong friends, we unloaded it one piece at a time and set it up.
I have looked at the backyard buddy, as well as other lifts at shows. I really like the backyard buddy. If I was to buy another lift, I would not buy a bend pack, I would buy a backyard buddy. It seems much more stable and better designed.

out of curiosity, why are you not liking the bend pak ? I had an hd-12 since 2005 ? or so and no complaints. the only issues I've had were due to lack of maintenance spank. It's pretty much seen daily use (not like a muffler shop) but has been used way more than a 'hobbyist lift" no real complaints other than parts that have been needed are a bit $$$ beer

My bend pack has a tendency to sway a bit when the vehicle is raised up high and you put a bunch of side pressure on it. It kind of sways back and forth which is a little unnerving. I should note that it is not fastened to the floor, it is freestanding. But it is designed for that. I have a wheel kit so I can move it around. Also the safety latches to keep the car from falling if a cable breaks are each operated by an individual air cylinder, which is controlled by a single air switch. I have had problems when lowering it where one of the safety latches does not release all the way and then the vehicle starts coming down on three posts but not the other and goes out of level. I have to pay really close attention to make sure that doesn't happen or else it could collapse. There is no way for the operator to know if all the safety latch is released except to begin lowering the vehicle and see if it comes down level.
When I looked at the backyard buddy, The vertical legs were square box tubes. The carriage rode up and down on tubes that fit tightly around the legs. I had them raise it up and I pushed on the side of it and it seemed like it is more stable against sway than the band pack that has three sided legs and internal sliders for the carriage. And the backyard buddy had a mechanical linkage going to each safety latch so that one of them could not stick without the operator feeling it on the control lever.

Mine is bolted and I have never experienced a problem with the latches. I will look on mine but I believe the height of the latch plates are independently adjustable and should all engage at the same time. Only other thing I could think of is the spring loaded latch is not functioning properly. Whatever the issue is I would investigate and get it corrected as it is a definite safety issue that could have catastrophic consequences frown
beer