Originally Posted by Dcuda69
Originally Posted by ChryCoGuy
Extra CO2 shouldn't be necessary as the product of yeast consuming sugar is alcohol and CO2, so the process of fermentation should provide enough fizz on its own. Maybe the large industrial beer plants add CO2 (not sure why... to speed up the process?), but I don't think the smaller breweries tend to do this, so if you support your local craft brewery it shouldn't be a problem. IMHO.
beer

Yep! I brew my own and when fermentation has completed we add a touch of sugar before it goes in bottles. Once it's in bottles and capped the remaining yeast eats the sugar and creates CO2....Boom! Carbonation!!

And yes!! Always support your local craft guys....amazing how much good beer is out there! We're on a little weekend trip right now, went into the small town yesterday and here's little hole in the wall brewery/brewpub. Fantastic beer(made on site) and delicious hand tossed pizza!! beer

Bottle conditioning is great for homebrew and very small batches of craft brews. But if you dig a little I think you'll find even your small and medium sized local craft breweries use lots of CO2--for lots of tasks.

If you don' think this shortage will affect the "little guys" I think you are mistaken.

1969 Dodge Coronet Super Bee 383 A4
1970 Plymouth Road Runner 440 FC7 (sold)