when i replaced the trusses on my garage roof, i actually contemplated adding a second story or loft. i can't remember exactly why i didn't do it.
the one thing i did do, was construct a light weight center beam that eliminated the two posts that were between the two garage doors.
for some reason, i looked up one night at work, and noticed how the steel truss was constructed between two posts that were 49ft apart, and had three 1000lb hoists attached to a trolley system.
i hopped onto a man lift and got up there and measured the material, which was just angle iron and strap steel pieces welded together to form a "hollow" type of beam.
anyway, i just scaled the material down to work for what i needed to do, which was span 32ft.
i then constructed the trusses from 2x6 and 2x8 rough lumber, and they sit on top of the "beam" i constructed.
this left me with only a 7ft 6" clearance under that beam, which is half way, depth wise, across all three bays.
i calculated that would allow me to raise my minivan 22" in the air, which would be "plenty" of room to work under. [oh, the stupidity of youth. laugh2]
so now, in my "golden" years, [ whistling shock panic] the only real thing i can contemplate now, is possibly a mid-level type of lift.
so to all you "youts" out there, if you even get a flash thought through your young noggin about a lift, buy and install it NOW ! you will be SO happy later on in life ! don't be a stupid doofus like me !
beer