Quote:

i just checked how i hooked it up in my challenger years ago and the red wire is just hooked to a 12v source, i never tied the two ballast wires together etc.

My friend has his hook up the same way, I could never get his car started but he always can. The starter will crank the motor over and as you release the key the motor will fire.

There are some members here too that have it wired the same way and don't have a problem starting the car this way. But do note the motor is not getting spark during the cranking, it does get spark as soon as you release it though. If the motor is still spinning when the key is release it will start.

Hooking it up without the brown wire is not the way the factory or MSD recomends but it can start. I'm more use to the car firing during the cranking process, not when I release the key.

This is funny because when I tried to start his car I about kill his battery. I crank and crank waiting for the motor to fire.

He cranks and as soon as the motor gets speed he releases the key. It starts at that time.