Originally Posted by not_a_charger
I agree with Topside; you can almost guarantee the engaged, articulate and polite ones come from a two parent family. That structure is so important.

My wife was raised largely by her dad after her mom left when she was 4. She's a wonderful wife, mom, teacher, and person. My brother in law is raising my niece and nephew on his own since my sister passed 4 years ago. Both honor students, play multiple sports, both can play multiple musical instruments, both do volunteer work. One of my closest friends is raising his 8 year old son on his own, and has been since his son was an infant. The son is also an honor student, competes in boxing and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, and is an extraordinarily polite and well mannered boy. But please, go on...
Definitely are great single parents out there. BUT, when we look at a large sample, the breakdown of the family and children from a single parent household have been shown to struggle greatly more than two parent households. Nobody can say "every single" anything. Things happen. Divorces, deaths, many sad events. It's tough so whenever possible a mom and dad will have a much better time raising kids if they have the help of one another. I'm sure no single parent would deny that some help would've been nice. up

Facts are stubborn things.