Originally Posted by 71pettyblue
Working on a friends' '67 Coronet, about 8 months ago I replaced the original fuel tank with a new stainless tank. I replaced the sending unit several years before with a stainless unit. After trying a 7" ground clamp and then a wire clamped to the outlet tube to the body, the needle only moves about 1/16". I grounded the wire from the sending unit to the body and the gauge goes to full. Also, the fuel line to the pump is stainless.
Is there problem using a stainless tank that should be grounded differently?
Thanks, I hope I covered everything,
Tony

I've got the same problem here with a steel tank and a SS sender. I have a wire clamped to the sender with a ring terminal on the other end screwed into the body, and the sender has continuity with the body. I tried to solder the ground wire to the sender, but it's SS so that worked about as well as you'd expect.

At one point I pulled the sender and checked it, rang the wire, and grounded it to see the gauge go to full. All those tests passed. The temperature gauge works and the IVR was confirmed to work. At the time the tank was pretty much empty but I put a camera on the gauge and watched it move a little bit and thought I had it fixed until I filled the tank and the gauge still moved just a little bit.

I'm interested to see what suggestions are made to your problem, with hopes they will help me too!!

69 road runner A12 ex-racer
71 Duster w/ a 400

Shiny paint causes stress.