Originally Posted by AndyF
I did a lot of rocker arm testing on the dyno with my 470 low deck. We ran multiple dyno tests using multiple rocker arms and multiple rocker arm ratios. Basically a big zero difference. I think I spent around $5000 testing rocker arms and didn't find any power. Pushrod length was critical even with shaft mounted rockers. We never saw the need to move the shaft up or down with any of the high quality rocker arm systems. It is common to have to shim and/or machine the stands to move the rocker arms sideways for correct alignment.
https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/trying-find-extra-power-rocker-arm-testing/

Putting in the time and money carries a lot of weight. Some of this philosophy has to do with getting maximum lift by reducing inefficiency, but you're changing lift by huge amounts going from 1.5 to 1.7 rockers, and showing no gains on a motor that isn't showing any restrictions elsewhere in the build. Am I to deduce chasing perfect rocker geometry is a fool's errand with exponentially diminishing returns, and is to be used to reduce mechanical failures from extreme mismatch of parts, like make sure the roller stays on the valve, and the adjuster isn't sticking out too far, or has excessive angle with the pushrod, stuff like that?

Last edited by 375inStroke; 07/10/22 10:41 PM.