Originally Posted by 360view
If you are shopping for one of the earlier model year Nissan Leafs,
can the dealership run a scan
and give an estimate of the % capacity left in the original battery?

Are there other “known maintenance issues” to have a dealership check?

Does a Leaf have a OBD-II plug that an aftermarket reader can see diagnostics on?

I also have a leaf - a 2011 I bought just before the pandemic as my new teen driver wanted on. I paid $3,600 and the prior owner had just replaced the battery for $6K. This is the worst year - look for at least 2013 or up if you are in the market. They are harder to find now due to the vehicle shortages and high cost of gas. The battery capacity can be seen on the dash. After a full charge it will show you how many bars are left and the range. There is also LeafSpy app for your phone (with an OBD2 interface) that gives you lots of info.

For the money, I am thrilled with the car. I put tires on it and wipers and that's it. It was weird buying a car and not changing oil, plugs, antifreeze, etc... There is virtually nothing to do for maintenance. The early Leaf batteries have no cooling so they don't do great in hot climates. The range is short - mine is about 70 miles in town. When I hit the freeway, drop the range by almost a third. The newer ones, Leaf "Plus" have range over 200 miles so they would be more practical, but they cost real car money. My 2011 is a great extra car as it costs almost nothing to operate compared to my other vehicles. Also, if you are constantly chased by beautiful women, the Leaf will save you from that inconvenience.