Originally Posted by Streetwize
I remember David's comment and essentially I agree, but as an engine builder/tuner I have learned (to a much lesser extent) that there are certain cam tuning specifics you can utilize based on the shortblock configuration and the headflow characteristics that can either enhance the powerband or, if poorly chosen, leave power "on the table". In that regard the rod length can come into play particularly with the intake closing event and maximizing piston velocity past top dead center.

And longevity (specifically side loading which obviously effects both friction and ring seal) is also a factor.

After thinking about this more it seems that with the piston moving faster before and after TDC that engine would like tighter lobe separation angles so the valve is open more while the piston is moving faster. A long rod engine is moving the piston faster at BDC so shifting the valves to be open more then would benefit that engine more all else being the same.

I am not causing global warming, I am just trying to hold off a impending Ice Age!