gasket got thinner over the yrs is my opinion. less cork = more $

fel-pro high performance gaskets or superformance gasket are the best I have used on a regular basis.

when I double up cheap paper intake gaskets they seal and don't suck oil on bottom of the intake runner.

when I run my M/T VC I use the thickest high performance cork gasket - felpro 3/8" thick- I use the Indianhead gasket shellac to glue gasket to VC on the bench to get it perfect flat alinement on VC.

add a very thin coat of Permatex copper silly cone on head side of VC gasket or spray with copper spray gasket tack install and finger tight the bolts-let sit over night and then snug them 3/4 turn with a 1/4" ratchet/socket by hand.

they never leak.

do my stock tins same way.

in my opinion the VC bolts are always way over torqued and crush gasket surface. but when glued/sealed/cured and lightly torqued down the stay leak free a long time. don't forget to hammer the tins around the holes and make sure rails are still flat.

use cork and don't crush the gasket surface, shellac is a [censored] to clean but seals well for a very long time. I use it in most leaky gasket problems like VC- oil pans-t stats ect.