Originally Posted by markz528
Originally Posted by jwb123
Just an observation, cnc work does not make a head flow better unless the program copies somebodies good hand work. I have owned a flow bench for 25 years, I have fixed several cnc heads that did not work, I have seen several indy cnc heads that backed up, actually flowed less after .5 lift. air speed on the short side was too high. The ones you can't fix are too large of a port and the air speed is too slow. Ask a few questions before they hit the start button. And then there is the guys I know that when they got their cnc heads back they leaked water because of small pin holes in the casting where too much material was taken out. And then there are the cnc heads that are so thin the first time they get good and warm the valve seat starts to move and the valves won't seal correctly. Don't get me wrong I have seen some really good cnc heads but ask questions about port velocity and flow numbers to expect when they are finished.

Spot on!

CNC is only as good as what it is being told to do. The only way to get a good a good CNC program is to copy a hand ported port. If the hand ported port is garbage then the CNC program is garbage. And that even assumes that the hand ported port was probed/modeled correctly. And the CNC is stupid - it has no idea if the castings are thin anywhere.

I have a heavily ported set of 906 heads that were done by Batten years ago. That are major league cracked now. Someday when I have time, I plan on probing/modeling the bowl area and seeing what I can do with my 3 axis machine. But that will be me playing with my own stuff - not to do work for others.

iagree Exactly. The CNC machine is just the copier.

CHIP
'70 hemicuda, 575" Hemi, 727, Dana 60
'69 road runner, 440-6, 18 spline 4 speed, Dana 60
'71 Demon, 340, low gear 904, 8.75
'73 Chrysler New Yorker, 440, 727, 8.75
'90 Chevy 454SS Silverado, 476" BBC, TH400, 14 bolt
'06 GMC 2500HD LBZ Duramax