Moparts

who does cnc head porting ?

Posted By: mxbeep

who does cnc head porting ? - 05/11/22 10:08 AM

I need a set of Stealth heads ported, Hughes no longer does CNC porting, i wished Dwayne Porter could do them but he as well no longer offers the service, however he was kind enough to recommend me to KG engines, which i have been trying to get a hold for the last few months without any answer or replys from them.

Anyone know of a machine shop who offers CNC porting aside from the 3 mentioned?

thanks in advance
Posted By: fbs63

Re: who does cnc head porting ? - 05/11/22 11:11 AM

All the cnc head porters are backed up. That being said contact Scott Brown at buyracingparts.com. He has some great programs for Mopar heads.
Posted By: 572B1

Re: who does cnc head porting ? - 05/11/22 11:37 AM

440 source has them in stock.
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: who does cnc head porting ? - 05/11/22 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by fbs63
All the cnc head porters are backed up. That being said contact Scott Brown at buyracingparts.com. He has some great programs for Mopar heads.

I think he uses Modern to do his stuff, or at least he used to.
Posted By: GY3

Re: who does cnc head porting ? - 05/11/22 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by 572B1

Interesting.

I wonder if they got their issues worked out with Modern?
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: who does cnc head porting ? - 05/11/22 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by GY3
Originally Posted by 572B1

Interesting.

I wonder if they got their issues worked out with Modern?

Last I heard, they were asking around for someone to go try to get their pallet of heads back.

I'd probably try KG if I were in the market.
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100057228979563

Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: who does cnc head porting ? - 05/11/22 04:05 PM

My impression is that 440 Source has someone other than Modern doing the cnc work now.

I suspect a phone call would clarify that.

Also, in the recent overview on a cnc Stealth head by Eric Weingartner where you could see the chamber side of the head, the chamber wasn’t ported like when Modern did them, and it looked to me like the same valve job that comes on the unported heads.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ti4RZOQrMvk
Posted By: n20mstr

Re: who does cnc head porting ? - 05/11/22 05:09 PM

X2 On Scott Brown, He will do a great job , but you have to remember the current state of supply is horrible. You may have to wait no matter who you use....as businesses are short not only on the supplies and materials they use, but it is getting harder to get quality workers...
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: who does cnc head porting ? - 05/11/22 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by n20mstr

X2 On Scott Brown, He will do a great job , but you have to remember the current state of supply is horrible. You may have to wait no matter who you use....as businesses are short not only on the supplies and materials they use, but it is getting harder to get quality workers...

Like I said above, Scott doesn’t do porting, he sends it out. He used to use Modern to do the porting work he sold. Not sure currently who he uses, might still be Modern.
Posted By: Brad_Haak

Re: who does cnc head porting ? - 05/11/22 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by fast68plymouth
My impression is that 440 Source has someone other than Modern doing the cnc work now.

Also, in the recent overview on a cnc Stealth head by Eric Weingartner where you could see the chamber side of the head, the chamber wasn’t ported like when Modern did them, and it looked to me like the same valve job that comes on the unported heads.

That's definitely not the same level of CNC and seat & valve work that the Stealths used to get from Modern. scope I didn't watch the entire vid to get the rest of EW's review.

Re: who does cnc head porting ? - 05/11/22 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by fast68plymouth

I really like Eric's Youtube channel. Very interesting stuff.

Re: who does cnc head porting ? - 05/11/22 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by GY3

It would be nice if he figured out how to pronounce the brand of his own flow bench correctly. It's spelled S-a-e-n-z... pronounced "Sigh-enz" (it's a Spanish surname)... and he keeps calling it "San-yez." no

Re: who does cnc head porting ? - 05/11/22 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Brad_Haak
Originally Posted by GY3

It would be nice if he figured out how to pronounce the brand of his own flow bench correctly. It's spelled S-a-e-n-z... pronounced "Sigh-enz" (it's a Spanish surname)... and he keeps calling it "San-yez." no

He's an Okie so he gets a pass. grin
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: who does cnc head porting ? - 05/11/22 07:03 PM

If one of the new version cnc’d Stealths finds its way to my shop I’ll take some measurements to compare to the MCH cnc’d Stealth I checked out a few years ago.

My “expectation” is that I’d see a higher flow number on my bench than Eric saw on his.
I think it was 286@.800” on his bench, which seems pretty soft for a fully ported head.

Re: who does cnc head porting ? - 05/11/22 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by GY3
Originally Posted by GY3

Chad Speier mispronounces it the same as Eric W. Chad is from Kansas... what's his excuse? laugh2

Re: who does cnc head porting ? - 05/11/22 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by GY3
Originally Posted by GY3

Chad Speier mispronounces it the same as Eric W. Chad is from Kansas... what's his excuse? laugh2

Maybe they're related? shruggy
Posted By: procharged 484

Re: who does cnc head porting ? - 05/11/22 09:53 PM

I have access to a new haas 4 axis machine . Will that cnc heads or does it have to be 5 axis
Posted By: CSK

Re: who does cnc head porting ? - 05/11/22 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by procharged 484
I have access to a new haas 4 axis machine . Will that cnc heads or does it have to be 5 axis

Not sure about 4 or 5 axis needed, but the other issue is a good program for the 440 source heads
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: who does cnc head porting ? - 05/11/22 11:02 PM

Some people think you just bolt a head down and flip the power on. Instant cnc’d head. Good luck with that.
Posted By: LA360

Re: who does cnc head porting ? - 05/11/22 11:24 PM

It's not going to be able to access the entire port without the 5th axis.
Posted By: mxbeep

Re: who does cnc head porting ? - 05/11/22 11:25 PM

thanks to all for the great information, i got a hold of KG earlier today and will be sending my heads over next week.
Posted By: jwb123

Re: who does cnc head porting ? - 05/12/22 03:13 AM

Just an observation, cnc work does not make a head flow better unless the program copies somebodies good hand work. I have owned a flow bench for 25 years, I have fixed several cnc heads that did not work, I have seen several indy cnc heads that backed up, actually flowed less after .5 lift. air speed on the short side was too high. The ones you can't fix are too large of a port and the air speed is too slow. Ask a few questions before they hit the start button. And then there is the guys I know that when they got their cnc heads back they leaked water because of small pin holes in the casting where too much material was taken out. And then there are the cnc heads that are so thin the first time they get good and warm the valve seat starts to move and the valves won't seal correctly. Don't get me wrong I have seen some really good cnc heads but ask questions about port velocity and flow numbers to expect when they are finished.
Posted By: mopacltd

Re: who does cnc head porting ? - 05/12/22 03:40 AM

Wow, that reply is out of line!

Re: who does cnc head porting ? - 05/12/22 03:44 AM

I was hoping it might work and I would buy program but no go . The machine in question is used to manufacture medical parts for surgical tables , soon to get ISO cert for shop .

Re: who does cnc head porting ? - 05/12/22 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by mopacltd

You think so ? he wasn't very friendly towards my statement . Ridicule begets same.
Posted By: markz528

Re: who does cnc head porting ? - 05/12/22 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by jwb123
Just an observation, cnc work does not make a head flow better unless the program copies somebodies good hand work. I have owned a flow bench for 25 years, I have fixed several cnc heads that did not work, I have seen several indy cnc heads that backed up, actually flowed less after .5 lift. air speed on the short side was too high. The ones you can't fix are too large of a port and the air speed is too slow. Ask a few questions before they hit the start button. And then there is the guys I know that when they got their cnc heads back they leaked water because of small pin holes in the casting where too much material was taken out. And then there are the cnc heads that are so thin the first time they get good and warm the valve seat starts to move and the valves won't seal correctly. Don't get me wrong I have seen some really good cnc heads but ask questions about port velocity and flow numbers to expect when they are finished.

Spot on!

CNC is only as good as what it is being told to do. The only way to get a good a good CNC program is to copy a hand ported port. If the hand ported port is garbage then the CNC program is garbage. And that even assumes that the hand ported port was probed/modeled correctly. And the CNC is stupid - it has no idea if the castings are thin anywhere.

I have a heavily ported set of 906 heads that were done by Batten years ago. That are major league cracked now. Someday when I have time, I plan on probing/modeling the bowl area and seeing what I can do with my 3 axis machine. But that will be me playing with my own stuff - not to do work for others.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: who does cnc head porting ? - 05/12/22 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by markz528
Originally Posted by jwb123

Spot on!

CNC is only as good as what it is being told to do. The only way to get a good a good CNC program is to copy a hand ported port. If the hand ported port is garbage then the CNC program is garbage. And that even assumes that the hand ported port was probed/modeled correctly. And the CNC is stupid - it has no idea if the castings are thin anywhere.

I have a heavily ported set of 906 heads that were done by Batten years ago. That are major league cracked now. Someday when I have time, I plan on probing/modeling the bowl area and seeing what I can do with my 3 axis machine. But that will be me playing with my own stuff - not to do work for others.

iagree Exactly. The CNC machine is just the copier.

Re: who does cnc head porting ? - 05/12/22 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by mopacltd

How is it out of line??
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: who does cnc head porting ? - 05/13/22 01:58 PM

The cnc does the repetitious grunt work of making the ports the same....development is done by hand, requiring high levels of skill and experience/proper judgement. It all starts with someone's hand work being digitized.

Good luck to the OP with KG. Maybe Report back with flow sheet and pics if you can?
I've seen a few good running cars with their parts and decals on them, and there have been a few posts here about their work.

Re: who does cnc head porting ? - 05/13/22 02:42 PM

If you are smart you would ask for before and after flow numbers.

Re: who does cnc head porting ? - 05/14/22 03:20 AM

I see that you deleted my statement aimed at pittsnshyts . To get started he attacked me without any provocation f you for that and f him being a self-centered egotesticle . Ban me if you want at this point mopits is dying but I do enjoy it but not to extent of seeing the ban too used like in twitter

Re: who does cnc head porting ? - 05/14/22 03:35 AM

I see that you deleted my statement aimed at pittsnshyts . To get started he attacked me without any provocation f you for that and f him being a self-centered egotesticle . Ban me if you want at this point mopits is dying but I do enjoy it but not to extent of seeing the ban too used like in twitter

What the heck are you so upset about.

Re: who does cnc head porting ? - 05/14/22 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by pittsburghracer

What the heck are you so upset about.

FORK YOU
Posted By: parksr5

Re: who does cnc head porting ? - 05/14/22 06:06 PM

Dave (K&G) is a very nice guy. He has my engine right now.

If it helps at all, I have a pair of his cnc ported 906 heads. Have run them for years without issue.

He advertises that his cnc'd 906 heads flow 290 on the intake. Another well-known porter on this site told me that he flowed a K&G cnc'd 906 on his bench and confirmed that they flow as advertised.
Posted By: fbs63

Re: who does cnc head porting ? - 05/14/22 11:01 PM

All of the negative posts on CNC porting is why I suggested Scott Brown. I know he doesn't port heads but he knows the correct people that have good programs and has worked with them to improve the end product. I have had nothing but great results with his stuff.
Posted By: carnut68

Re: who does cnc head porting ? - 05/15/22 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by mxbeep
I need a set of Stealth heads ported, Hughes no longer does CNC porting, i wished Dwayne Porter could do them but he as well no longer offers the service, however he was kind enough to recommend me to KG engines, which i have been trying to get a hold for the last few months without any answer or replys from them.

Anyone know of a machine shop who offers CNC porting aside from the 3 mentioned?

thanks in advance

Why not have someone hand port them? Someone who knows what they're doing, someone who knows mopar?? Dwayne not doing any head porting? He did my Indy heads and I was happy with the performance improvement.

Re: who does cnc head porting ? - 05/15/22 11:51 PM

Some people think you just bolt a head down and flip the power on. Instant cnc’d head. Good luck with that.

Procharged 484, you were offended by this comment? I am trying to get my head around where the anger is coming from

Re: who does cnc head porting ? - 05/15/22 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by LA360

Procharged 484, you were offended by this comment? I am trying to get my head around where the anger is coming from

Yep that’s the one that launched him. Lol
Posted By: BIG DRAG

Re: who does cnc head porting ? - 05/16/22 07:29 PM

Try Precision Cylinder Heads, Shane Studley has a new CNC machine and is doing lots of CNC heads.

714-401-7405

Re: who does cnc head porting ? - 05/16/22 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by LA360

Yep that’s the one that launched him. Lol

Weird! Thought maybe I missed something a a post had been deleted. shruggy

Re: who does cnc head porting ? - 05/16/22 10:15 PM

No that was not what launched me it was what the mods did to my post
Posted By: tboomer

Re: who does cnc head porting ? - 05/16/22 10:22 PM

No that was not what launched me it was what the mods did to my post

And....What did the mods do to your post????? I never saw it and I am here almost everyday....
© 2024 Moparts Forums