I bought a new pair of Centric 9" drums for the 96 Dakota rear axle in my 49 truck last year. One was OK, the other was warped. Could only turn the drum .060 the first .020 cut only cut about 1/2 the drum. The 2nd .020 cut about 3/4 of the drum, and the last .020 got me mostly a clean surface. I've got around 4,000 miles on the truck, nothing serious (I'm not hard on brakes), but I'm getting that out of round sound and pedal vibration again. I haven't looking into it yet, the truck is about to under go body work. Anyone want to take a guess if the "new" problem is with the already max turned drum, or is it the other that has yet to be turned?
Since the purchase of those drums, the cost of another set has nearly doubled. A few weeks ago, the 9" drums (had either 9" or 10") were the only drums you could get for the 6 lug Dakota, and the Centric brand was what most were carrying. If the only thing available is the same brand, and the same part number, does it make any sense to pay more money for the part?