Originally Posted by fastmark
Originally Posted by cudaman1969
Interesting, how old is the machine. Explain “got the 3 phase figured out” please

I talked to several electric motor gurus and a couple of electricians and everyone either did not know anything about it or knew something about a static converter that used another motor to generate three phase. It was pretty involved and expensive. My car building bud made a belt sander at his shop. He has three phase already but this is a “ ac motor speed control Hybrid Drive”. You get them on eBay and it is great for making speed changes with instead of changing belts. It has single phase input and three phase output.

What you describe is what I have called a Roto Phase, single phase 220 motor that manufactures the third leg 220. Mine will run 50 HP and those ‘phase converters’ will lose 40% of your power, ok for a 1/2 hp motor, maybe. If you converted over to single get nothing less than 5hp, about the max for single. The rotary ones are expensive, comparable one like mine is $12,000, I paid $250, got it with my 37” wide belt sander. 3 phase motors can be started and run with a made up gizzmo, look it up on u-tube.