Originally Posted by Sunroofcuda
SO sad when their plane went down! First time I was ever in Lubbock, TX. I just kept thinking "this is where Buddy Holly grew-up" - it was a very strange, sad feeling. I've always loved his music, & to think Richie Valens & The Big Bopper were all on that plane together = extra sad. SO MUCH great music from that era, & like someone else said - so much of it was just plain fun music.

I visit Lubbock pretty often (headed there next week, in fact), and every time I drive through Lamesa (~60 miles south) and pass the old drive-in theater there, I think of Buddy Holly. From what I've heard, he got his start playing a show on top of the projector house there. If you ever visit Lubbock again, you should check out the Buddy Holly Center (which includes drummer Jerry Allison's house!) or catch a show at the new Buddy Holly Hall (saw ZZ Top there in November).

"When I'm in a slump, I comfort myself by saying if I believe in dinosaurs, then somewhere, they must be believing in me. And if they believe in me, then I can believe in me." - Mookie Wilson