Just twigged on me what day it was. Would explain why I've been on such a Buddy Holly kick for the last few nights.
Also just learned that in '20, they released expanded version of The Buddy Holly Story soundtrack with the unreleased cut track from the opening of the film "Tennessee Waltz" and alternate or full versions of other songs. Remember that all songs were performed LIVE for the filming but were edited together for the final cut of the movie.

I can now confirm at least TWO deleted scenes from the film. #1, of course being the cut song "Tennessee Waltz" from the Roller rink portion at the beginning of the film. But a few years before his passing I had a wonderful chat with Bill Griggs the Buddy Holly Historian, and he got to see a pre-release version of the film with a myriad of other small scenes still in the film, as well as a complete ending that had our boys climbing into the airplane and flying off into the darkness. It was THAT ending is where the song "I'm gonna love you too" featured on the soundtrack album but NOT present in the film comes from. That scene was apparently hacked off at the last minute, in an attempt to end the movie on a good note, not on a sombre note reminding us all of what actually happened.

The other piece of history that just baffles me to this day.... and just.... you can't make this $#!t up.... bits of life that make me believe in fate....

Wrap your mind around the fact that Ritchie was still a minor when he died. He was still 17. His recording career was barely eight months long. He only release TWO SINGLES in his lifetime: The first: "Come on, Let's Go" b/w "Framed" in September of '58 and then "La Bamba" b/w "Donna" in late November... but for sake of argument, let's call it December. He was gone a little over a month later. His first LP was announced but then rushed to market for March, '59.

He was signed to Del-Fi Records on May 27th, 1958. His first professional recording session took place mid-July '58 at the now long gone Gold Star Recording Studio in Hollywood.

So, May 27th 1958 to February 3rd 1959.... is barely 8 months.... but if his first record didn't come out until September '58.... nobody outside Pacoima knew who he was before then.

Just blows my mind the talent the kid must've had to have that kind of LASTING career based off of what amounted to two singles and an LP. I have friends who were in a band in the 60's and they put out two singles in 1967 and went NOWHERE. And they were GOOD tunes, too.

Too bad they don't make music like that today. A couple years ago, our PA system at work took a dump, so I dragged in my little Boom box with an 8-track in the side and a dozen tapes. Good stuff, too.... Bay City Rollers, Elton John, Steve Miller, Grass Roots.... a bunch of the kids that I work with not only enjoyed the music, but one commented "Wow, I didn't know music was supposed to be FUN!"

But I suppose the under-20 crowd hasn't been exposed to much beyond the hulking dirges they put out today. I think the world NEEDS more Heroes like Buddy Holly, Ritchie, Meat Loaf ... to INSPIRE people.
Those people reached MILLIONS.

I know I got into a bit of an argument with a buddy recently about how some modern music act got a Gold Record for having 250,000 online sales and I just laughed. He asked what my issue was and I had to explain to him in *my day*, you had to move ONE MILLION physical units before they would even think about handing you a Gold Record. The blew his mind when it twigged on him that people used to have to go out and BUY physical records, not just bleep-bloop them on their phone while sitting on the toilet.

Last edited by That AMC Guy; 02/03/22 04:18 PM.

Bloody Mary, Full of Vodka, Blessed art thou among cocktails....