Originally Posted by dvw
In my case I worked at the Electrical garage at FCA. So testing this stuff was nothing new to me. My stuff was voltage drop checked it front to back under load. Charging was checked at the battery itself. Alternator was upgraded (75 amp). Though its still to small. Think about it. Cooling between rounds with big fans and your water pump. 3-5 starts per round going up to staging. Then a few minutes at most with the alternator running mostly at idle or low rpm. It doesn't have time to recharge what you are taking out. Tried adding a heat shield on the starter. Pulled the starter apart and tested all components. Tried a different starter. Tried 3 different pairs of batteries. I watched guys with low compression motors, small motors who have zero issue. But when the engine is big and the compression is up there, different story. Now in the late rounds the battery(s) are no longer at the fully charged 12.6 volts. They're down to maybe 12.2volts. 12.2 is roughly 50% state of charge. Resistance goes up with heat. Now your starter needs every bit of voltage it can get. The Voltage is what gets the job done.
Doug

I cranked the idle up on my car to a point to where the 1 wire “ is excited” 100% of the time the car is running….1100 - 1200 rpm or so. Running the fan and WP 3-5 minutes is all thats required to cool it off. First several rounds dont even have to use them as there is plenty of time before getting called again.
Cant stress enough…good wiring…. I have had off and on issues for years with keeping battery charged on different cars.
Two winters ago had my car professionally rewired front to back. Since then, i literally haven't had a battery charger within 100 yards of the car ever. Made 26 passes at Bowling Green two summers ago, never needed charging. Ever.
The retired electrical engineer who did the wiring told me how much of an effect doing what he did would have. He has been proven 100% correct. Car starts every time like its 16v. Spins over ultra fast, and its almost 12.5 compression. I think the 1 wire and extra amperage(95) helped as well.

Last edited by B3422W5; 01/27/22 11:35 AM.

69 Dart GTS A4 Silver All steel, flat factory hood, 3360race weight
418 BPE factory replacement headed stroker, 565 lift solid cam
Best so far, 10.40 @127 1/4
1.41 best 60 foot
6.60 at 103.90 1/8