I do the shows for the sway meets. I did Carlisle for 10 years, the Monster show in St. Louis for 12 years and the NATS for 8 years. You can't really compare Carlisle to any other show. Carlisle Events does this for a living and they are in a class all by themselves. The last few years that I was at the Nats that show was on the decline. Swap was getting smaller each year. Monster was a fun show but it finally busted. Topeka KS had a good show but it too busted.
It is also hard to compare the Western shows with the Eastern shows. The shows back east do better cause that is where all the people are. Other than CA there isn't crap for people out here compared to back east. Hell most cities back east have more people than most of the STATES out west, except for CA of course.
I think one of the downfalls of the MATS is the cost. Out of the 10-15 shows a year that I did the MATS was/is the most expensive gate fee wise. 110.00 for a swap spot compared to other shows 35-45.00 fee. Entry is 85.00 for the weekend per person compared to other shows at 25-35.00. Then there is that Vegas is in the middle of nowhere. The early years the Vegas scene brought in a lot people from Europe and Canada but that wore off after a few years. The early years were a blast. Big O' party in the desert. The Autocross is pretty cool. It used to be setup next to the swap so I got to watch it all day. Now it is setup clear at the north end out by itself.
As I said it is really sad to see this show decline like it has.
My 3800sqft. spot at Carlisle.

DCP_0047.JPG

72 Satellite Sebring Plus 440, 72 Dart 5.9 4-spd, 68 Valiant, 73 W200, 78 D100 sb, 78 D200, 98 DAKOTA, .
Moparmarks Parts & Restorations
Desert Mopar Metal
Grand Jct. CO
970-261-7039
http://moparmark.com/
motormangj@gmail.com