Originally Posted by Kidsixpack
A lot of great information here guys THANKS! I'm planning to heat/cool about 2,000 sq ft. I'm not finished insulating yet but it will be well insulated. I'm planning to leave it on in the winter probably around 50degrees. Just want to maintain a decent temp.
I've installed a couple of ceiling fans to keep the air moving and it seems better than nothing at all. Cooling is secondary. I'll line up a couple of quotes.

KID

Ceilings fans help a bunch. Staying at 50 shouldn't be a problem. They measure the temp of the incoming air into the top of unit not like a thermostat on the wall. Mine puts out 115 degree air which heats the intake air over the unit so to keep it 50 it'll probably be set at 60. Get ready to be shocked at 2000 sf you'll a need a mutizone unit with probably 3 indoor units. Friend just bought a single zone 18,000 BTU for his new 700 sf garage. $7,000. It is a good cold weather unit and a bit oversized which means it heats above average but in summer sometimes it doesn't run long enough to take out the humidity so he uses a dehumidifier. A trade off.