Originally Posted by GTSDave
I just turned 53, but it is hard to say how long I will keep doing it. If you run NSS and live in SE Texas you have to drive a minimum of 5 hours to get to a track for a small race with maybe 12 cars if you are lucky..... It really beats you up when you drive for 2 days to get to the big races, then bust tail all weekend then drive back to make it home in time to go to work. For the folks that are retired with plenty of money they can take their time and travel in style and really enjoy the racing. For me it is usually a race to get there, then bust tail to race, and then race to get home to go back to work. The closest big NSS race is usually in St. Louis and that makes for a long drive. It is well worth it, but tough while keeping a full time job.

I envy those up north that have tracks within a reasonable distance to race. You would think in a city the size of Houston we would have more than one decent track and we would get more NSS action. Years ago there were several tracks withing a day drive that catered to the NSS racers, but I fear those days are gone and not coming back.

The last time I went to the Baytown track, the ricer crowd had been there the night before and someone took a dump in the middle of the restroom floor. There was garbage everywhere and the track personnel looked over worked and exhausted. I never went back and now it looks like that track is closing. San Antonio is also shutting down. Its tough to get any testing done so driving to St. Louis with an untested car is always a big gamble.

Sometimes I think I will sell it all and go fishing. Thankfully that passes! I know in the spring I will be traveling again to race. I will do it as long as I can, but with my health issues I will probably have to update the car at some point to make it easier to race when I get older. I think if my health doesn't get any worse I will probably run another 10 years or so. The biggest problem I see is that most of the people that run Nostalgia Super Stock are really getting up there in years and are going to retire long before I am ready to quit racing. Running a NSS/FX car is expensive and very restrictive so there are not too many younger folks coming up to keep it going.

Sometimes I think I may need to have my head examined! laugh2 laugh2

-Dave

We’re spoiled here. Rock Falls is top notch. Grove Creek is also nice. BIR has been nice for decades. The only drawback, is the 125 mile tow.