Originally Posted by SALEM1912
Just a quick note, if you truck has a tach and it is moving while cranking your crank sensor is not your problem. It maybe hard to see 4 or 500 rpm but it's a quick way to see. I have had sensors that by the time I went to the shop and back to the parking lot with a scanner if would fire up.

Didn't pay attention to the tach, yeah the truck has one.
The last truck that I had, where the crank sensor went out was a 97 1500 4wd again with the 318, shut that one off at the gas pump, and wouldn't restart but with that one I did get a code 11 out of the key dance.
I pushed it up out of the way, called for a ride home for tools and my scanner, went by car quest and bought a sensor, then back to the truck and it fired right up, so I had my ride follow me home with it, to be sure I would make it, (it did) and dealt with it there. Better place to maybe be stranded than at a gas station parking lot. I went ahead and put the new crank sensor in anyway and that truck never gave me another no start the rest of the time I had it.
When I replaced the engine in my wife's Durango at 260k (360/5.9) I put a new crank sensor in it at the same time just because I had it out and apart.