I didn't know there was any particular science to making tomato sauce, so it's interesting hearing all these different methods and adjuncts people use!
My tomato crop all seems to come in around the same time starting in late July through late August. Except for cherries which keep on rolling until it the first frost.
I make tomato sauce and salsas constantly during this overload period of ripe tomatos on my vines. I go through my salsa by the gallon during this period and wish I could preserve it somehow so I could be having fresh homemade salsa year round! drool
I have beefsteak, better boy and maybe a plant or two of some other variety like super fantastic or whatever caught my eye when I was at the nursery buying plants in May.
For sauce, I dunk tomatoes in boiling water for about 20 seconds, that makes peeling the skin off easy. Then I core them and put in my food processor.
In a pot on the stove I simmer cubes or chunks of whatever else is in abundance in my garden at the time such as eggplant, zucchini, and green peppers along with minced garlic. I also add a minced jalapeno or chili pepper from the garden in for a little spice. Then after they are tender and cooked down, I pour the pureed tomatoes in and simmer, adding fresh basil leaves and oregano.
I simmer the batch for a couple hours. It tends to stay too watery, probably due to the beefsteaks, so I pour a little of the liquid off the top periodically or suck some off the top with a turkey baster to help with that.
Since I am making my sauce batches somewhat informally as opposed to a set recipe, there is a little variation but it always tastes good. Only issues I ever run into is sometimes my batches will end up too spicy from the hot pepper I add. I guess I should resist my habit of adding a jalapeƱo and just add a teaspoon of dried chili flakes for that tiny bit of spice a good tomato sauce should have.
I use some on pasta or to make an eggplant parmesan from the batch right off the stove, then freeze the rest of the sauce and enjoy my homemade sauces all winter long.
I never heard of simmering tomato sauce 24 hours, and wonder if that overdoes things and makes it taste sour/tart?