Originally Posted by moparx
Comet, i really like your waterfall garden pool ! up
any fish in it ?
beer

Thanks Moparx. That photo actually placed “3rd” in the National Aquacape magazine contest, circa 2004. I think I won
several hundred dollars back then. penguin

Yes, it used to be a koi pond. Many were named (Chiquita, Halloween, Comet, Jake and Gracie, and many others). Quite a few got upwards of five pounds, were hand tamed, and loved to be hand fed and petted.

BUT… we live on a three acre lot (one acre yard, two wooded).

We were constantly loosing Koi to hawks, herons, raccoons, etc… despite many, many preventative measures: Infrared sprinklers, yada yada.

And Koi (gotta love ‘em!) are high maintenance. They also like to tear up aqua plants, causing water filtration issues.

We lost the last of the Koi about three years ago, switching over to quality Goldfish. They are much more passive, and don’t need routine feedings as they nibble on ambient pond matter.

Sure miss those Koi tho. Wife says she’ll never “name” a fish again. Too heartbreaking when a trained old buddy disappears.

Our oldest, and one of the best trained Koi was Sharky. Yes, looked just like a shark..especially in color. He lasted around 14 years.

Not sure why critters don’t bother the Goldfish. But they don’t seem to.

FISH KILLER!

[Linked Image]

Other residents:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]