I looked at using escrow.com last year. I was going to pay for it. What sank the deal was the seller didn’t have the car in his name. No escrow company will get involved with that, and I’m certain auction houses won’t either.

My understanding was the terms are what the two parties set them as. I was willing for funds to be released once the car was picked up by my carrier.

I wouldn’t go for this deal. Three days is waaaaay to long to be in limbo, parts can disappear, wreck, blown engine, etc. anything could happen and he can send it back.

At most id allow an inspection on the truck, he’ll have to pay for them to sit there, if that would even be allowed, plus the return freight immediately so you aren’t stuck with the bill. You should consider some nonrefundable money for all this mess, enough for your time and you need to find out what a return would cost in case he balks at paying it to the company as it’s leaving to come back.

I had high confidence in what I was buying. I spoke to the original owner of the car, knew it from when he sold it. Ended up talking to a local that had viewed the car and was aware of the one specific issue he found that I already knew about so I was ok with what I was getting. So I was willing to release funds once the car was rolling. Doesn’t sound like you are in a deal like that so tread lightly.

I want my fair share