I know this question has been asked many times, but I haven't found the answer to the questions I have for this build, so I hope some of you can provide some insight. I'm building a 440 to put in my 57 Belvedere. What makes this one unusual are the following factors: I live at 6,700' elevation in a very dry climate: I will be running cast iron manifolds (non-HP) and a full exhaust, and: I'm running a 2.76 rear gear with a pushbutton 727.

With that in mind, my goal is a good cruiser with good low end torque and driveability. Obviously I'm not worried about peak hp with the restrictive exhaust system. The 440 is 0.030” over with KB 237 pistions and Stealth heads so the CR will be around 9.5. My thinking on the cam is relatively short duration and higher lift. That seems to limit the selection since it looks like duration and lift go hand in hand in most selections. Two cams I am looking at are Hughes SEH1016BL-12 ( 210/216 - 0.480/.500) and Hughes SEH1620BL-12 (216/220 – 0.495/0.503). Both cams are 112 LSA and 108 installed CL. I'm thinking the first one would provide better low end torque but would the longer exhaust duration and higher lift with the second one be a better choice? Are there other options out there that would be better? I not really considering a custom grind since I've got plenty of other places to spend money on this car.

Also, what stall speed torque converter should I use in this combo. The 57 Belvedere is slightly less weight than a B-body.

Thanks for your help!

'64 Sport Fury, 528 Hemi, FiTech EFI, 4-speed, 4.10 Dana 60
'57 Belvedere 2dr sedan, current project in process
'19 Cherokee Trail Hawk Elite
'03 Ram 2500 CTD HO, 6-speed 214,000 miles and still going strong