Originally Posted by Bad340fish
How much of these failures would you pin on the longer oil change intervals of today? My wife has an 18 Durango R/T so I am assuming it has the later lifters. Most of her driving is in town and she doesn't cover tons of miles. The dealer changes the oil for $20 since we bought it there so I change it when the oil life indicator shows 50%.

Its got 53K miles on it and will clatter sometimes on startup, usually after being moved a short distance then shut off again. I have heard it tick before but never after driving. We have 7K of powertrain warranty left and another couple of years of Maxcare warranty as well. I need to take it in and get the trans service done soon so I might mention the occasional clatter to them just to have it on record.

My 6.4 does this in my ram as well if started up cold and moved a very short distance ( like in and out of the driveway). Sounds like lifters are just getting pumped up.

Our 12 Durango doesn't do this but it uses thicker oil. That being said when I did the cam swap it had a lob that looks like it was loosing some of the "coating" at 80k when I pulled it. Rollers were fine but I upgrade to the thicker needle bearing ones.

70 Challenger
1960 Town Wagon P Pump 24v cummins project
06 Mega 3500 Drw 2wd
12 Durango R/T
18 Power Wagon
67 A100