Originally Posted by Copper Dart
All advise very much appreciated! up
Please consider these pictures of the cylinder head marks left by the metal gasket. The marks are identical on the intake manifold too. This is why i'm considering just using a liquid or spray on sealer. The cylinder heads were not removed, only the intake and valley pan/gasket for inspection of cam lobes and tappets. Alignment couldn't have been better with just the metal gasket/valley pan and I don't think adding the thickness of 4 paper/fiber gaskets (two per side, one above and one below the metal pan/gaskets) is necessary or possibly even beneficial. Thanks in advance to those who have graduated the "been there and done that" college. grin and their shared wisdom with us students. bow beer
Copper

Looks like everything lines up well, any idea what the darkness inside the ports is? 4 gaskets could very well be too thick.

I've used Permatex copper spray before with no problems. Now I'm using Hylomar spray, it's as convenient and "better" than the copper spray.

My intake is too wide/sits too high to the point it barely aligns with the ports in the heads. But I still wanted something between the aluminum heads and valley pan. I hylomared 1/64" (0.015") gasket material to the head, cut out the holes for the ports with a razor. Spray hylomar on the wings of the valley pan, seal the ends, put the intake on all that. I like to seal the intake bolts as well. It's worked well so far this year drive

440, 4-Speed, 3.54
1968, when Dinosaurs ruled the Earth