Originally Posted by 360view
So I am wondering, if Honda 390 engines are in short supply right now
what other small powered equipment - go carts, tillers, water pumps, etc
have a Honda ( or Kohler) engine that can be transplanted in place of a failed Briggs & Stratton engine?

In vast internet land
is there a forum with knowledgeable small engine users who could suggest transplants?

If the BS de-compression mechanism
is a weak link that can wreck havoc
can it be disconnected
even if it makes pull starting harder?

You need to remove the camshaft. You will see an L shaped lever with a spring. The lever swings out allowing the exhaust valve to stay open longer as the camshaft rotates to make starting easier. Question to your answer is yes. You can remove
the compression release. Remove the camshaft. Then, cut it out from the camshaft. But, you don't need to do this. Chances that it will break are very small. I had one break off years ago on a B&S 15.5 OHV , on a 1996 Murray 42" mower. .
Did not even know it. I notice it was a little harder for the engine to start. But , I ran the engine like this for many years. I did replace it when the engine threw a rod back in 2016. Was not caused by the broken compression release remains. But was caused by an oiling problem. got a new connecting rod and a another camshaft with a good compression release mechanism, rebuilt the engine and has been running fine ever since.