Originally Posted by Mr PotatoHead
Find a shop with a older caustic soda non epa friendly hot tank and let it eat the tubes out chemically or at least break them down enough for easy removal.

Also if it were me id get that block cleaned and get a good mopar guy or shop to look so far up it you can see the back of its teeth.

Who knows how hard of service life that block has had and who knows its real health, id check and see if the oil passages from the main to the cam have been drilled and others as well.

Many times when we used to tube we did drill passages as well.

I agree. never know why it was removed from service or broke down/inspected for mechanical issues.

IIRC...per the Hensley 'Blue book' oil mods I am sure the galley feeds would be drilled to 9/32" and the main oil passages from pump/main cap/block drilled to 1/2" along with a full groove main bearings. I do these mods on all of my junk along with blending turns/gasket matching pump to cap/ adding 4 more holes to the filter plate. also install a couple restrictor plug in block just below deck surface at the rocker shaft oil holes to reduce the oil to rockers.

I would be checking for any of these mods along with the sleeve for solid lifters.

with a transfer tube in the valley I would be looking for any of the oil feeds blocked to redirect oil flow at the #1 main bearing to oil galley( IIRC you block feed to galley on #1 main since it now feeds from main oil galley.

and always check to make sure the core plug is in to turn the oil to the filter. IIRC should be about 7" down the oil sender hole.

some machine shops remove it some don't. so check.

Last edited by scratchnfotraction; 06/29/21 08:49 AM.