Many counties in Michigan require a health department inspection of both the septic tank and your water well prior to the sale of a home.

The number of occupants will determine how long you must go between pumps. As stated up top, have the tank lid clearly marked aw well as where your field is laid out. What type of vegetation or soil are you in? And . . . given it is a cottage in Michigan - is this a 1930's cabin septic - just 1 or 2 - 50 gallon drums buried out back or is is a professionally engineered system (re: Health Department Inspection) . Many older cabins do not meet current specifications and local county governments are demanding upgrades when new owners take possession. If this is the case, you may be required to dish out $10k to $20K for a new poo pot!

Some folks I know have flushed eco-friendly dye into the toilet and came back to the house the next day only to see it leaching out near the water line - not good!

I am not rich...but I get off my ass everyday to make sure I am not broke!

Can we get the Mexican cartels to help us with our supply chain issues? They don't seem to have any trouble getting stuff from one place to another.