Too many companies have been unable to deliver when they say they will. I'm sure it hurts customer service to tell guys that are waiting for parts that their part won't be available when they were told it would be.

I would much rather have them send my money back so maybe I can source the parts elsewhere then have them hold it for who knows how long. I think it speaks highly of the organizations understanding of the auto parts industry these days.

The next reality many don't yet understand it that if something is back ordered, the chances of it having the same cost when it finally gets made are pretty questionable. If you bought part XX at a specific dollar amount because it was the best price, then it got back ordered, and a month later was back in stock but $10 higher priced (and $5 higher then someone else that had the part in stock) then it was when ordered, how would you feel? I'm betting you wouldn't have good words to say about Summit, or what ever company you ordered from.

Better to refund the money and let the customer find the part elsewhere. You may loose a few sales, but I suspect more guys will call you first, knowing if you don't have the part, or can't get the part, you will at least send back the money.
Gene