Made a little more progress and got a few more questions. Took it all apart and my heads already have the spring cups installed. There was also a shim under the spring that would only come off after removing the valve seal.

I was able to get through to Edelbrock and they gave me the part numbers I needed to get the correct springs on the heads.

Springs: 5821
Valve Seals: 9758

The dual springs for roller cams are the same diameter and use the same cup, retainers and locks.

The new springs have an open pressure at 384lbs. That is 42lbs higher than the old springs and is pretty close to the recommended springs from Comp Cams.

To measure the height I installed a check spring from my cam timing kit and used the depth gauge on my dial calipers to measure the distance from the spring cup to the bottom of the retainer. Came up with a distance of 1.910" and the springs call for an install height of 1.900".

First question is this acceptable or is a shim needed? I don't know what the allowed tolerance for height is with valve springs.

Next question is if you look at the pictures the shim I removed has a groove worn into it. Is this normal? I'm questioning installing springs now without it thinking this could happen to the cups on the heads.

Last question concerns installing the new seals. I saw it done on another set of heads using a deep well socket and a dead blow hammer. Is this the way this should be done?

I really appreciate the help everyone. I've always had a shop assemble heads for me. This is really my first time measuring and setting up a valve train. Thanks again.

20210408_174655.jpg20210408_174642.jpg20210408_174842.jpg20210408_180126.jpg

1987 Fifth Avenue - 512/518/D60