Originally Posted by 3hundred
Originally Posted by Guitar Jones
Originally Posted by 4406bbl
Originally Posted by second 70
The problem is Texas has know for over a decade that they needed to upgrade their gas and electric generation for colder weather and reserve capacity. They haven't keep up with added generation for their growth and are living on the edge.The big boys want to stay independent and have a monopoly on residents of Texas but they don't want to pay for the upgrades. The only reason Texas has wind power is it was basically free from the feds and added capacity. Funny that Iowa has the second most windmills of any state and they work. Natural gas works in even of the coldest parts of the US. They've been pocketing the funds that should have been used to upgrade their systems for years. It's plan mismanagement and watch how quickly they reach into our pockets and ask the feds to upgrade their independent grid.

Iowa did not get the ice Texas did so maybe that's it. I still do not understand the natural gas freeze up, our gas meters and pipe are outside, it gets to -30, 202 hours straight below zero, and it has never been an issue. We have run black iron gas line right on the ground to get heat in a garage till spring and it never freezes. Maybe it is like an airhose, when it goes thru an orifice it freezes? It kinda looks like some power plant onsite liquid natural gas storage and insulation might be the thing to do, before we go all government program and make it worse. I would like to hear from some engineers, maybe those in a cold weather state, that knows natural gas, and keep the politicians away to solve it.

I've been told the freezing is from moisture in the lines. NG operates at about 5psi so not a lot of pressure. Where or how the moisture gets there I don't know. From the well or condensation inside the transmission equipment maybe?

I don't know for sure but I remember hearing complaints about 25 years ago they'd dropped the pressure from ~ 8 to 4psi, complaint being it was an effective rate increase. After the NG explosions in NW Dallas two years ago there's been some chatter about pressure being dropped AGAIN. Complaints about record NG bills seem to back up the assertion.

I don't know, we don't pay for it, it's deeded to us as the well is on the property. It's up on top of the mountain where we don't see it anyway unless you walk up there. The neighbors tell me the freezing only happens when the sun comes out which increases my speculation that it's condensation related.

"Follow me the wise man said, but he walked behind"

'92 D250 Club Cab CTD, 47RH conversion, pump tweaks, injectors, rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
'74 W200 Crew Cab 360, NV4500, D44, D60 and NP205 divorced transfer case. Rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
2019 1500 Long Horn Crew Cab 4WD, 5.7 Hemi.