Originally Posted by Mr T2U
Originally Posted by 6PakBee
It isn't like the late '70's GM products that used the first generation water based paint that came off in sheets.

paint falling off cars happened during the 90's early 2000's cars.
i have repaired THOUSANDS of GM de laminating paint cars.
water base paint had nothing to do with the paint falling off.
there were multiple reasons why the paint fell off GM and several other manufactures cars, the biggest reason is they didn't put enough paint on the cars. the UV light from sunlight penetrated thru the color to the E coat and attacked the chemical bond between the 2 layers of products. this caused the paint to fall off.

I once went to inspect a blue Dodge Dynasty. The owner reported that her car had been vandalized. I drove to her house, and the car was surrounded by sheets of paint that had peeled off of the car, like a vegetable peeler would do to a carrot or cucumber. Strips several inches long and a few inches wide, all over the ground around the car. Primer underneath looked like new, except for one nickel-sized spot on the roof that had been exposed to UV rays for some time. One of the weirdest things I've ever seen.

My dad had 86 (blue) and 91 (white) Chevy Astros. Paint delaminated badly on both of them.

Earning every penny of that moderator paycheck.

DBAP