Originally Posted by njmopar
Originally Posted by Guitar Jones
Go to utawesomeperformance.com Marty knows Magnums. I have his UTP 500 cam in my LA 360 with stock magnum heads and this cam pulls really well. Send Marty an email an he'll get in touch with you. You would need a tune with this cam because of the 108 LSA but it's worth it. What I don't like about the Comp and especially the Hughes cam is they have too much lift. Stock magnum heads quit gaining air flow at about .450 lift, anything over that starts causing turbulence. The UTP cam gives you more duration than either of those cams and the tighter LSA improves the lower end torque.

Got a reply from Marty and I guess based on my specs he is recommending a custom grind.
“ I would suggest if you are using stock heads, stay with a 212/212 114 lsa. Keep the lift at 0.456 so you can use stock springs and rockers. If you decide to order that cam from me, I will send you the tune for free in unlimited and any octane you use.”

Marty has spent a lot of time sorting out magnum modifications.
My engine is carbed with an air gap intake, 650 carb and long tube headers. So I don't have any experience with the plenum reducer plates. I was going to keep the engine injected and use the plenum reducer plates along with the oil shield but I didn't have a 5.9 short block, only a 5.2. My 360 LA was a reman .040 over block so I decided to keep it, put the magnum heads and front accessory drive on it and use a carb.
I also used the Hughes valve springs, 1110? I think and their retainers. I originally used some 1.5 SBC roller rockers because the original plan was to use a solid roller cam, but later upgraded to stainless 1.65 rockers for SB Chevy. They work just fine since this isn't a race engine. I still want to put the solid roller in it but I think it's just too big with 246/246 duration at .050 even though with the 1.5 rocker it would only be .498 lift. I may still put the solid roller lifters on this hydro roller cam though as the Morel retrofit lifters have been nothing but trouble.

"Follow me the wise man said, but he walked behind"

'92 D250 Club Cab CTD, 47RH conversion, pump tweaks, injectors, rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
'74 W200 Crew Cab 360, NV4500, D44, D60 and NP205 divorced transfer case. Rear disc and hydroboost coming soon!
2019 1500 Long Horn Crew Cab 4WD, 5.7 Hemi.