Originally Posted by quickd100
For what it's worth, my advice.....keep the compression on the low side. You will never hear the detonation before it breaks stuff. You also may not be able to always access the fuel your motor needs to stay happy. On a big stroker it will make WAY more power than you can safely use on the street, you'll never notice the difference in a point or two in compression.
My old truck tries to kill me on a regular basis just gently rolling into the throttle.

Compression will make a big difference in power and torque, at the track and in the street.
I live in Michigan so have only driven my cars in the summer, but, if given the chance, i much prefer running race gas. Its easy to get, consistent compared to pump swill with who knows what in it.iItsvnever hard to access
I drive a few hundreds of miles on the street every summer, typically not thousands of miles, so at 7 bucks a gallon the cost to run race gas isn't that big of deal.i figure if i cant afford to put fuel in it, i am probably involved in a hobby i cant afford.
I have had several engines where i raised compression and saw it immediately at the track.
My project over the winter here will yet again. Going from a 360 to a 418, Changing nothing other than the cubes and compression, little bit of head work. Heads will be way to small for 418 inches. But going from 10 to 1 to 12.5 to 1 compression. I am expecting big gains for primarily that reason. Figure the compression alone is probably 40-45 horsepower. Same cam, headers, carb, etc, etc

Last edited by B3422W5; 01/08/21 10:09 AM.

69 Dart GTS A4 Silver All steel, flat factory hood, 3360race weight
418 BPE factory replacement headed stroker, 565 lift solid cam
Best so far, 10.40 @127 1/4
1.41 best 60 foot
6.60 at 103.90 1/8