Originally Posted by Bad340fish
I don't get the need to let them warm up before driving, driving them will warm them up faster. Let them get some temp in them before hammering down maybe I don't see why you shouldn't start and drive.

I have owned, or have had diesel work vehicles from the big three. I would say none of them get the mileage you see on the internet

This has been my experience as well. I've owned dodge and chevy diesels and at work we have a couple ford diesels. None of them get the MPG claimed by people on the internet including members of this board. They all will start and run a bit cold blooded but can be started and driven. Lots of diesel pickup owners think they're driving a big rig that won't move until it's been warmed up and that's just not the case. A lot of diesel pickup owners seem to think their truck won't restart if they shut it off and apparently they need to be idled indefinitely. By the time you pull into your driveway the turbo has cooled as much as it's going to. I wouldn't be blowing boost pulling a 10,000lb trailer uphill, hit the brakes and shut the key off but they don't need to be idled 15 minutes after a trip to the grocery store either. The only time anyone needs to run fuel additive around here is when they go south and buy cheap #2 fuel and come back up here in winter and find they have trouble. Normal pump fuel bought locally will be fine for your climate. Repair costs are significantly higher than a comparable gasoline engine. For the weekend warrior who only tows a couple times a month they really aren't worth the extra expense. Best thing you can do for it is plug in your block heater when the temps dip below freezing.

Last edited by DaytonaTurbo; 12/15/20 02:17 PM.