Originally Posted by burdar
I would say that they deserve a trip to a machinist for a valve job, to increase flow, and to check for whatever else. My set had 2 valve spring seats under one of the springs.

So what does a machine shop charge to inspect a brand new set of heads? My local shop charges $500 to rebuild a set of factory heads.(new guides, grind valves/seats and surface head) If a shop is going to charge that, your $1000 set of heads turns into a $1500 set.

My machinist only charged me $75 per head for the valve job, remember that he is doing an entire build for me. I picked these heads because I'm trying to keep a factory car looking factory but I wanted to pick up some power. And don't forget that the factory heads that were on the car didn't have hardened seats either.

If I have another similar car to redo, then I'll use these heads once again. For a performance build, it'll be something else.

This was just an informational post.

1972 Cuda 340 4 speed, 2001 Ram CTD 4x4 6 speed, 1970 Duster 408 4 speed, 1996 Ram 5.9 2x4 auto, 1965 Coronet 500