Originally Posted by Sunroofcuda
I've heard nothing but good things (GREAT things!) on the 3.6L Pentastar motors, but not sure if there were early teething problems with them. My first one was on a 2012 300, then a 2014 300, & my current driver is a 2016 300. ONLY problem I had was the oil filter housing cracking & leaking on my 2014 - this was a VERY common problem. You'll start smelling a strong oil burning smell - smelled to me like I cooked a belt or something rubber burning. Chrysler did that repair - that was a TSB I'm pretty sure.

I recently read an article about the 3.6L engine being rated a world-class engine. They talked about fleets running these with over 600,000 miles on them, & Chrysler tore-down the motors & said there were virtually no signs of wear internally - the cylinder walls even still had the cross-hatch pattern still.
Otherwise a very good engine. FCA really screwed up not correcting the issue quicker! A silky smooth, powerful engine, and had they made a quick correction, they would have kept from damaging the reputation. There's now a class action suit with the van owners because FCA not honoring this warranty for them and they aren't happy

https://www.classaction.org/news/fc...-for-pentastar-v-6-engine-ticking-defect

Facts are stubborn things.